Monday, August 8, 2011

A Trip to St. Louis, MO - Part I - Jimmy's on the Park; Dolnick's Furniture

If you are reading this, you probably already know that I am aiming to create a blog that focuses on cultural delights available in Duluth. However, this Duluthian also loves to travel. Today, I would like to take you on a little journey to Saint Louis, Missouri. I was there over Memorial Day weekend visiting my grandparents and seeing the Spring to Dance festival.

Oddly enough, one of the highlights of this trip for me was a rug. This rug has become an obsession in my world. I saw it at Jimmy's Cafe on The Park, where my grandparents and I tucked ourselves away into a plush little lounge corner. Observe:


The one I saw was more made of tans and browns, but this is a good close-up for the sake of detail. Here's a better estimation of the color palette:



The rug, by Dream Weavers, is made of recycled silk neckties. My feet couldn't stop playing with the silky loops. What a smashing choice, Jimmy! I will not rest until I own a rug like this. That may be a while, though; the price of a 5' x 7' rug was around $700. Ouch.

Here is a shot of the restaurant/wine bar's exterior:


Check it out: http://jimmyscafe.com/

The service and the ambiance were impeccable here. In fact, Jimmy himself came over to our table at least twice to check on us. When I told the server I loved the rug, he told me he would find out where Jimmy had purchased it. Jimmy came over and told us: Dolnick's. Apparently, Dolnick's is the ultimate drool-worthy store. Opened in 1927, they are still a family business dedicated to beautiful modern furniture and design. When I made a stop in the store, still entranced by the Ties rug, I was greeted by one of the Dolnicks and spoiled rotten by their personalized, attentive service. For this lover of fine contemporary-yet-comfy interiors, this place was like a mecca. Please observe again:

Dolnick's website: http://dolnicks.com/index.php

We didn't partake in a full meal at Jimmy's, so unfortunately, I can't offer a review of the menu's offerings. We did enjoy our glasses of Pinot Noir, however, as well as a substantial number of what Jimmy's calls Pasta Crunchers. Their website describes them thus: "flash-fried imported fettucini with a special blend of seasonings." They were salty, but delicious, and very addictive. The crunch as you bite into them adds to the addictive quality. We went through quite a few.

I also love that Jimmy's takes pride in the location they selected for their restaurant. What is now Jimmy's Cafe on the Park was once a neighborhood grocery store--one of those little standbys that have gone the way of vinyl records in the age of the mega-chain. The old grocery store stood on the spot for about 50 years, closing in 1994. I remember being eight or ten years old and having my grandmother send me down the block to buy a loaf of bread. It wasn't so long ago that a person could do that. The neighborhood was a safe one, and my grandparents' home is only a stone's throw from the place.

This reminds me: I need to do a blog entry about my grandparents' beautiful house in Clayton, Missouri. Stay tuned.

So, for anyone reading: where do you find your design inspiration? Do you have a favorite old neighborhood haunt?

No comments:

Post a Comment